- Agile stores are about making retail more adaptable, responsive and nimble, it consequently makes retailers faster and more fashionable (Fitch, 2016).
- Relevant for the GRACE consumer as they are millennials and live their lives at an increasingly frantic pace, driven by new technologies and change (Fitch, 2016).
- Retailers need to build agility into store design in order to respond better to rapidly shifting consumer trends and new technologies (WGSN, 2016).
- Newly introduced stores are immediately relevant, however this reduces significantly over time due to the high demands of customers and ever-changing retail concepts. It is important to think about new and different ways to engage the consumer to keep them interested (WGSN, 2016).
GRACE will employ agile retail due to its pop-up store concept, all fixtures must be able to move and transform according to different sized store spaces, and must be capable of displaying multiple products and allow flexibility.
The retail industry has rapidly embraced pop-up retail as a feasible distribution channel for reaching consumers, launching new products, and testing niche markets which is highly suitable for GRACE’s strategy in being introduced to the market (Rye, 2011).
Experiential shopping environments are often created by manipulating aspects of a store’s environment (Varley, 2005) – GRACE must consider various aspects such as scent, visuals and tactile textures to appeal to the multi-sensory experience of the pop-up.
- Pop-ups are placed in smart locations that cater to the on-the-go-shopper or cover high-traffic tourist destinations, placing the pop-up in high-footfall areas in urban locations increases the opportunity to reach the maximum number of consumers (WGSN, 2014).
- A ‘touch-and-try’ cross-merchandising strategy paired accessories and apparel together on shelving units giving shoppers a chance to interact with the product (WGSN, 2014).
Fitch. (2016). Agile Retail – Embracing the pace of change. Available at: http://www.fitch.com/news/agile-retail-embracing-the-pace-of-change (Accessed: 27 March 2017).
WGSN. (2014). Top 10 seasonal pop ups: Us. Available at: https://www.wgsn.com/content/search/reports/?searchId=6746031#/pop%2520up (Accessed 27 March 2017).
WGSN. (2016). Agile store design: Launch,improve, repeat. Available at: https://www.wgsn.com/content/board_viewer/#/66549/page/1 (Accessed: 27 March 2017).