High Street Bridal
An increasing amount of high street brands are diversifying their apparel ranges to now include bridalwear to appeal to consumers desiring more affordable wedding dresses. These ranges offer not just the affordable aspect, but also high fashionability and attention to detail.
- Bridalwear is big business and despite an average of one new specialist store opening every two days in the UK, a number of retailers are hoping to steal a slice of that lucrative wedding cake for spring 16 and beyond (Drapers, A, 2016).
- Lipsy is the latest retailer to join the wedding bandwagon, following similar launches from Topshop, Asos, Missguided and Whistles (Drapers, B, 2017).
- With the average cost of a wedding now estimated to be over £20,000, it’s understandable that couples are looking for ways to cut down expenses (Telegraph, 2016).
- The global wedding industry is estimated to be worth over 300 billion dollars and growing, while businesses around the world are witnessing a decline in consumer spending amid tough economic conditions, when it comes to weddings the splurging trend seems to only go up. (Fashion United, 2016).
Wedding Statistics and Trends
- It has been claimed by the Office for National Statistics that in 2013 (latest release), that the age for the highest number of marriages for Brides was 25-29, followed by 30-39, which coincides with & Other Stories target market age group.
- The number of marriages in England has increased since 2011 (The Wedding Secret, 2013). Providing a stable foundation on which to introduce a bridalwear range.
- Religious ceremonies decreased by 14% while civil ceremonies declined by 6% in 2013, compared with 2012 (ONS, 2013). Which could prove that a less traditional wedding style is rising in popularity, with more brides taking on a modern, unique approach. This coincides with the ethos of the &OS brand, in allowing people to express themselvesand not being wholly trend-focused.
- May – September constitute the peak season in the UK with August being the singularly most popular month to wed (The Wedding Secret, 2014).
- Wedding dresses require an additional three months for alterations (Corrado, 2002), so the optimal time for the selling bridalwear would be between December – June.
- Over a third of couples from a survey in 2014 voted a classic wedding theme to be most popular, followed next by a vintage theme which has been growing dramatically in recent years. This information can be used to influence the style of products the new bridal wear range encompasses.
Corrado, M. (2002). Teaching Wedding Rules, Journal of Contemporary Ethonography. 31(1), 33–67. [Online]. Available at: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0891241602031001002 (Accessed: 16 February 2017).
Drapers, A. (2016). When fashion meets bridal: The perfect match, [Online]. Available at: https://www.drapersonline.com/when-fashion-meets-bridal-the-perfect-match/7005473.article (Accessed: 17 February 2017).
Drapers, B. (2017). First look: Lipsy says ‘I do’, [Online]. Available at: https://www.drapersonline.com/news/first-look-lipsy-says-i-do-to-bridal/7018102.article (Accessed: 16 February 2017).
Edwards, J. (2017). High street brands that sell wedding dresses, Cosmopolitan, [Online]. Available at: http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/fashion/style/g4924/high-street-brands-that-sell-wedding-dresses/ (Accessed 10 February 2017).
Fashion United, (2016). Summing up: Inside the big fat global wedding industry, [Online]. Available at:https://fashionunited.uk/news/business/summing-up-inside-the-big-fat-global-wedding-industry/2016062420874 (Accessed: 16 February 2017).
Hitched W.I.F.E. (2014). UK couples prefer a traditional wedding theme, [Online]. Available at: http://hitched-wife.org/wedding-facts-economics/trends/uk-couples-prefer-a-traditional-wedding-theme/ (Accessed: 16 February 2017).
Milligan, L. (2012). Nicholl’s topshop bride, Vogue, [Online]. Available at: http://www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/richard-nicoll-pictures-bridal-collection-topshop (Accessed: 10 February 2017).
Newbold, A. (2016). Introducing Whistles Wedding: the latest high street bridal collection, The Telegraph, [Online]. Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/brands/whistles-wedding-dresses-affordable-high-street-bridal-gowns/ (Accessed: 10 February 2017).
ONS. (2016). Marriages in England and Wales: 2013, [Online]. Available at: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/marriagecohabitationandcivilpartnerships/bulletins/marriagesinenglandandwalesprovisional/2013 (Accessed: 16 February 2017).
Taylor, N. (2017). Lipsy latest to enter UK’s bustling bridal sector, WGSN, [Online]. Available at: https://www.wgsn.com/news/lipsy-latest-to-enter-uks-bustling-bridal-sector/ (Accessed: 10 February 2017).
Telegraph. (2016). Introducing Whistles wedding: The latest high street bridal collection, [Online]. Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/brands/whistles-wedding-dresses-affordable-high-street-bridal-gowns/ (Accessed: 18 February 2017).
The Wedding Secret. (2013). Weddings in England statistics 2013 – By the wedding secret, [Online]. Available at: http://www.theweddingsecret.co.uk/infographics/weddings-in-england-2013/ (Accessed: 16 February 2017).
The Wedding Secret. (2014). UK weddings 2014 – The wedding secret, [Online]. Available at: http://www.theweddingsecret.co.uk/app/webroot/data-centre/uk-weddings-2014/ (Accessed: 16 February 2017).